Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hooray for the Seamstress!

Well, I actually got a set of 7 vonTrapp kids outfits more or less finished (garments are constructed, but they need hems and finishing.) I went to the play practice today (Sound of Music, in case you needed a reminder about the vonTrapps), and got all of the kids together for a fitting. They were twirling around, shifting and squiggling, but after the director came out and told them to stand still, I could finally do some fitting! They were very excited about their outfits.

These outfits are navy blue skirts and navy walk shorts, with grey and navy middy tops. I remember from the movie that Mr. vonTrapp is military, but I didn't remember that he was in the navy. But his kids look cute in middy outfits.

So they all lined up in "birth order", and then marched in to the gym where the rest of the cast was practicing. All of a sudden, a round of applause broke out as they marched in. I didn't know what was going one, but one by one, moms popped their heads out, and said, "Did you make those outfits? They are darling!" I had many compliments!

I guess plays finally look like they are coming together when the costumes are broken out. It somehow motivates the actors and actresses to finally learn their lines, remember their cues, and come on and off at the right time. The Sound of Music will open on January 30, so there isn't much time to finish up with everything! The assistant director is shaking her head right now, but she's a veteran of this group, so she knows it will all fall in place by opening night.

By the way, I had to go to another practice site today for another fitting for another play. My work is cut out for me this week, finish this first set of clothes for the Sound of Music, make a wedding dress for the second play I'm working on, make a second set of clothing for the Sound of Music, and then get ready to go back to work next week. Will there be any time for naps this week?

4 comments:

Ty'sMommy said...

Hmmmm what kind of wedding dress do you need? And what size? I have one I might be willing to donate to the cause! From my first marriage, of course...and my folks are coming out this weekend...convenient!

sewwhat? said...

Well, I have all the fabric for this one, and we have to cover another costume underneath so it needs to be cut a certain way, and I need it by Thursday, so maybe I'll pass on your offer, but perhaps we can work something out later. Monkeygirl offered hers from the first wedding also! I now have a costume storage area in my house, so I can accept donations, to a certain degree!

MonkeyGirl said...

You could probably round up a nice collection of gently used wedding dresses if you really wanted some to have on hand!

Renée T. Habashy said...

You are right about the costumes bringing a show together. I've been a professional costume designer for 6 years now and I've seen a show completely change because of the costumes. Of course lighting and completed sets have a lot to do with it as well, but SO many times I've seen an actor really "turn it on" once they're in the costume. It's funny to see.