Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rainy Day

We've had about 18 hours of straight rain, with about 12 hours more to go. Total rainfall in some areas has been 4" or more, although right here, it is just about 2".

My students asked me this morning, "Will they call off class?" "Why?" I asked. "Because it is raining!" Who ever heard to calling off class because it was raining?

Well, tonight on the news, I heard that one school district DID call off school because of the rain. This was a rural district whose buses had some low-lying back roads to travel, and areas that were underwater from floods last year--so I'll cut them a break and agree that it was necessary. They only lost less than an hour of school because of the rain.

When it rains like it did today, with the sky so dark at times it looked like night outside, I would have been all for the "call off class" recommendation. It was all I could do to keep myself and my students alike to stay away for the 12:30-1:45 class. So sleepy were we all studying vowel diagraphs that I had to devise something to wake them up. So we did a Total Physical Response activity--stand up, put one hand up if you hear OOOO sound, and two hands up if you hear the OW sound. That seemed to liven things up a little bit and made the time go a little bit faster. I must admit I was clock watching today, and was really glad when it got close to 1:45.

And of course, long snoozy naps were in order when I got home. Now, I'm needing to flog myself to get downstairs and tackle that basic black job! But blankets and remote controls sound so much more appealing on a very rainy dreary night!

No comments: