Sunday, September 6, 2009

Next Costuming gig

My next costuming gig is the play "Doubt". This was made into a movie in 2008, starring Meryl Streep, Amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The plot is based on the idea in 1964 that priests who abused children could get away with it. Sr. Aloysius wasn't going to let that happen on her watch.

Here is the beginnings of several costumes.

This play is being presented by Clayton Community Theatre, and will be presented in November, 2009. Auditions haven't been held yet, but I wanted to get a start on costuming to see if this would work out OK and meets the directors approval.

The theatre that this is presented in is only lit from overhead, so the director asked me not to make the nun's bonnets too deep. They are much deeper than this in reality, but I think this is a good compromise.

The priest will wear a vestment made of the green cloth, trimmed with the cross applique. I was lucky to find this collection of embroidery patterns at my sewing machine store yesterday. It was only $40, and has dozens of designs. I will use at least 4 of the designs for this play. The piece of software I was originally looking at for cross designs was $99, and I really didn't like all the designs in it that well. I could very well use some of these designs again.

What do you think? Good Meryl Streep interpretation? Yeh, I know--NO WAY!

No comments: