Sunday, November 30, 2008

What Did I Hear?

I woke up at 2:55 a.m. this morning. I heard something. Was it the cat racing madly around the house chasing some unseen dust bunny? Naaa, he was still snoozing on the chair next to my bed. Was it the paper man throwing the paper on my driveway? Naaa, he doesn't get up that early. Was it my poor neighbor leaving for her job at the bakery? Could have been, but she was gone by the time I looked outside. But this is what I found when I did look out....


It must have been the snowflakes that I heard!

No my hearing isn't that good. But the weather people called this one correctly. Rain Saturday night turning to snow in the early morning hours of Sunday. So at 2:55 a.m. it had just started to snow big juicy flakes. Now at 4 a.m. this is what it looks like!

Now they said it would not accumulate, but this looks like it is covering things and could accumulate. The good news is, the streets and sidewalks and driveways are just wet, so I won't need that snowblower that I dug out from the shed yesterday. At least I hope I won't need it! In the meantime, I can enjoy the beauty of the first snow of winter.

Remember, Lucy VanPelt in "Charlie Brown Christmas" warns us all, NEVER EAT DECEMBER SNOWFLAKES. These are officially NOVEMBER snowflakes, so I guess they really to be avoided. I suppose she is talking about the impurities found the first snow, bits of summer dust, laced with the last bits of pollen from fall. Since she is so pure, she would not want to sully her body with something that might be tainted.

I never listen and grab a snowflake or two on my tongue every time I'm out in the snow, no matter what the month. The one I just nabbed tasted great!

No comments: