Thursday, August 20, 2009

The week before school starts

This week seemed to creep up pretty quickly on me. It is my last week of summer before school starts.

Now some poor kids have been in school for a whole two weeks now, nevermind that they started the first week of August. For them, summer was over way too quickly. And for me, this week seemed to come upon me rather fast.

It has been a whirlwind week of meetings, planning, registrations, meeting with students with oddball situations who needed a bit of advice. Plus our new scholarship group came in last week, and I've been dealing with getting them registered and supplied, something new each and every day.

The president of the college has spoken to us each day, and two of the days, she sprang for lunch for the teachers. On Monday, it was a lovely catered affair, for the department chairs, deans and program coordinators. I lucked out on that one because I am a program coordinator. On Tuesday, it was lunch for the teachers after the general opening session. This one was more like a picnic, but free nevertheless.

Today I worked on registrations, book and supply orders, and then went to a lovely ESL "retreat", where all the ESL teachers in the district meet to plan things for the upcoming semester/year. That was very nice, and lunch was again provided.

But now, Friday is looming in a couple of hours, and I still don't have a syllabus made, (I need two, for classes I've never taught before). No schedule, no handouts, no nothing! Hopefully, I'll be able to do some of that this weekend.

I guess the weekend will be spent making my syllabi, and trying to get my thoughts together as to what I need to be doing this semester. It isn't even near fall yet, and here we are, back in the saddle again, ready to start a new school year.

No comments: