Monday, August 24, 2009

The first day of school

Chaos!

That is how the first day of school usually is! Today was no exception!

No big yellow school buses to dodge, just a bunch of half-asleep young adults trying to find a close parking spot for their 8:00 a.m. class! I was about sideswiped by someone in too much of a hurry to look both ways!

My colleague wasn't that lucky. She was merrily on her way to school, on the off ramp of the highway, and got rear-ended! It was a jolt, not really a crash, but it shook her up a lot, but she was/is a trooper and pulled herself together despite a bad beginning to the day.

Other colleagues came and went, the dean came and went, the department chair came and went, and by 2:00 p.m. I had absolutely nothing done of my own! So things quieted down in the mid-afternoon, and I finally got a few lessons planned.

I didn't officially begin my teaching today, just was in the office planning, and greeting the colleagues who I haven't seen all summer. It was busy, buzzing, and cordial, but everyone was on a mission!

We have full classes this semester. Some say the community college benefits by a downturn in the economy. That must really be the case, because our halls were jam packed before every class today. One of our classes was actually without a classroom until yesterday! Luckily, they found a place for them to meet.

My day in the trenches starts tomorrow with two absolutely new classes that I've never taught before. So, I'll have to see how I do with new curriculum and a new group of students. It is always a challenge, but usually a very rewarding one!

Wish me luck!

No comments: