Thursday, July 9, 2009

it's "HAMMER TIME!"

In designing my costumes for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, I wanted the look of the baggy pants that is seen in many biblical films and plays. I had absolutely no concept of how to make them. I called them MC Hammer pants--remember him--"Don't Touch This.." That's about all I can remember of him, other than his gold lame pants always were a fascination for me when I saw him perform.

I was so happy to see that Kwik Sew Patterns had such a pattern available, and so I saw how the bags in baggy pants were constructed. Basically, they fill in the ordinary curved crotch seam of pants and make it shaped like a triangle instead of a curve. So simple, but my brain couldn't get the concept until I purchased this pattern.

I was right, they are easy to make. My colleague, Ms. Em, actually completed a pair in 10 minutes and was shocked! I told her they were as easy to make as boxer shorts. Here's the result of todays work--10 cut, and 9 sewn. Then we fell exhausted in the couch cushions after about 9 hours at the job. Even though they only take 10 minutes each to sew, they take longer than that to cut. I cut and she sewed, then I sewed some more. We make a good team

TIE DYE SHIRT AND HAMMER PANTS
THIS WAS THE CLOSEST THING TO THE CORRECT PATTERN THAT I COULD FIND. THIS PATTERN IS FEATURED ON THE COVER OF THE KWIK SEW PATTERN BOOK THIS MONTH. THEY LOOK COMFY, DON'T THEY?

Tomorrow, we'll make the tunics to go with the pants and shirts.

No comments: