Monday, June 22, 2009

The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat takes shape

The coat of many colors is taking shape.

This is for the play Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. The main reason I wanted to costume this play is because I wanted a chance to design the dreamcoat. This is the beginning of the project. This took me 4 days to complete, with several days spent in their entirety down in the sewing room.

As you can see, it is far from finished. But I took it to the practice last night, let "Joseph" try it on (it fit him spectacularly). And it seemed to energize both the cast and the crew to see what the final piece-de-resistance might be.

I have to make a second coat, one that will be "torn apart" on stage. I took all of the squares I had left over from the patchwork on this coat and made rainbow strips of cloth out of them, then connected them together to make a piece of fabric for the bodice of this.

I'm using a Elizabethan doublet pattern for the basic pattern. It was made longer for the decorated coat, now I have to figure out what I can cut off to put the bottom on it. I hate to cut any of it! More figuring, and brainstorming! It is a lot of fun to creat this!

Keep watching, more pictures will be coming soon!

No comments: