Thursday, September 25, 2008

Glorious Day



Sew What? is ready for a nice long bike ride.

Today was a glorious fall day. It felt more like summer, with a clear blue cloudless sky, and temperature in the high 70's/low 80's. The trees haven't exactly gotten the cue from Mother Nature that they should be getting ready for winter, so there isn't alot of fall color around. Because it is Thursday, I have the whole day to do what I want. I had scouted out a well-known county park that people had told me about, one that has a great trail around the lake that is its centerpiece. With all this beauty around me, there was absolutely NO EXCUSE for me not to take my long bike ride. I've been planning this for weeks, but for the first two Thursdays in this month, it was raining and last week I had other commitments have kept me from trying it out.

Now, the last night was a toss and turn, get up and do a load of wash, organize some stuff, write a few emails, worry about finances kind of night. That meant that from 1-4:30, my eyes were wide open and mind racing. Sleep finally came about 5:30, but it wasn't deep. I got up at 6 and faced the day. I tried to tell myself I was too tired to bike, but my body was willing, even if the mind wasn't.

It seemed like the bike ride was going to happen, I was all dressed to go, and looked outside at the main drag down the street, and it was GRIDLOCKED! Then the TV announced two accidents on my route to the park, so that was my excuse to try to catch a few more ZZZZ's until the traffic cleared. About 8:45, things were all clear, I was dressed and ready to go, so off I went.

When I got to the park, there were a few bikers loading up, slathering sunscreen on themselves for what seemed to be a long day on the TANDEM BIKE. I think that is the way to go, if you get tired, you can make your partner do all the work! But, no tandem for me.

This park trail connects to a long rail-to-trail route that goes all the way across our state. I'm not quite up for that kind of travel yet, but I saw how you got on the long trail, up a very steep hill to cross the lake over a bridge. Those in the know tell me you can then get to the long trail by following the bike path on the highway. Some day I may explore that.

I got lost once, there was a big intersection with trails going 4 different ways, and I picked the wrong one. It dead-ended for biking about a mile down the trail, so I backtracked and came back to the intersection to try another trail, that one took me back the same way I came. When I got back to my starting point, I went the other direction, and found my way completely around the lake. The whole thing is 3.7 miles, and VERY FLAT! That's my kind of trail! I biked for over an hour (61 minutes to be exact!), and felt wonderful when I was finished. So, now I'm going to try to get out there every week on Thursday, my day of no work expectations.

Sew What? had a great time, no costume making today, unless you count a quick trip to the thrift store to find some big men's coats, which I spent a whole $13.00 on and got 4 coats! Nice prices, thank you. Two of them cost $1.50 each. You can take a chance on stuff when you get them for that price!

We should have some more Thursdays this fall before the wind starts to howl and snowflakes fall when Sew What? can get on the bike and try this trail. Until Thursday, I will be content with the park 1 mile from my house, and get my exercise riding 8 times around that parking lot driveway.

1 comment:

MonkeyGirl said...

I wish I had Thursday's off so I could join you. Sounds absolutely lovely and much more enjoyable than working!