Tuesday, February 1, 2011

More Saga of Priests and Nuns

In November, my church put on a play based on the life of our patron saint, St. Rose Philippine Duchesne. It was a great play, and I helped with making the costumes for the priests and nuns, plus I borrowed from my theatre group many costumes for the cast who were playing other parts.

I had several priests and nuns costumes that I had made in 2009 for the play Doubt. My college, Florissant Valley Community College is putting on Doubt this month. I offered my costumes to them to use, thinking the play in November would not interfere with a play in February.

WRONG!

The church play got noticed by EWTN, which is the Catholic cable network that broadcasts many different Catholic programs. EWTN thought filming this show would be a great addition to their programming, so they arranged to film the play. However, they didn't get it organized while the play was being run, so they planned to do it in early December. That day came and went and no film crew. Then it was supposed to be Dec. 19, but still no film crew. The director finally came to the conclusion in January that this was not going to happen, so I took my costumes for the college to begin to use them, since their play was cast and in rehearsal. They were getting nervous that maybe they WOULDN'T have costumes, beccause I had to keep stalling in bringing them in.

I took the costumes on a Wedneday, and on a Thursday, the director got the news that the EWTN people would come on Sunday, Jan. 30 to film the show. So, the costumes had to be brought back to the church, reorganized for the day of filming.

I was glad I wasn't part of the cast, because their filming took from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. It was exhausting for them all. I came back to get my costumes after the filming that night.

So, now the costumes are at the cleaners, hopefully to be delivered back to Flo Valley on Thursday (however, the snowstorm "of the century" is going on right now, so I'm not sure if I can keep that deadline. But, at least, Flo Valley will get their priests and nuns costumes soon, and the St. Rose Philippine Duchesne film is on its way to be edited and shown on TV.

It was a crazy situation, and I was in the middle of it, but I think it will work out, at least I hope so.

No comments: